I can’t believe it is already March! According to the calendar, March 20 is the first day of spring. (I know some of us live in the north and spring shows it’s face at different times). With that being said, if you are like me, spring inspires spring cleaning, spring detoxing, and weight loss efforts.
If you have been following me for a while, you likely know that I recently opened up a yoga studio with my friend Lara. Our studio is called Eighteenth Element Yoga. One of the things we are doing in the studio is a pose of the month and a essential oil of the month. For us, March sponsors Chaturanga and Lemon Essential Oil.
In my opinion, just saying or posting that Chaturanga is our pose of the month or that Lemon Essential Oil is our oil of the month is not enough. You should indicate “WHY.”
1. Is a pose found in most active yoga classes and it is often repeated numerous times.
2. Is not an easy pose and many people don’t do it right thus leaving them susceptible to injuries. The shoulders often fall victim to improper technique so Chaturanga is often nicknamed the “shoulder shredder.”
***Because of this, we felt it was important to highlight this pose. At our studio, we film videos showing pose break downs and various modifications. We will do the same for this pose as well as demonstrating ways to build up strength if a proper Chaturanga (any variation) is currently out of a person’s league.
Lemon Essential Oil
1. Lemon Essential Oil can be a tool towards weight loss. We all know we are supposed to drink water. But the question is how much? Some people don’t know how much to drink or simply don’t like the taste of water. Here is a simple formula for the amount and a possible taste solution. (Just make sure citrus doesn’t mess with any medicines you might be taking).
***Divide your body weight by 2 = how many ounces of water you should drink
Put your water in a “glass” pitcher or glass. (Don’t use plastic with essential oils as the oils will break down the plastic).
For every 20-30 ounces, add 3-5 drops of lemon essential oil. [Only ingest oils marked Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG)].
2. Lemon is a workhorse additive to a general household cleaner if you are into using green products. It is cheaper and easy to make.
***Find a glass or aluminum 11 – 12 ounce spray bottle.
5 ounces of water
5 ounces of white vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
20 drops of lemon oil
Add the water and vinegar to the bottle. Slowly add the baking soda so it doesn’t fizz. Then add the oil. Shake it up and use!
3. Lemon as aromatherapy has wonderful benefits. It helps eliminate negative emotions, and can increase concentration and awareness. To gain these benefits, you can diffuse it or put a drop or two in a tissue and inhale.
As you can see, Chaturanga and lemon are great stars to highlight as poses and essential oils of the month. But why March? That goes back to my what spring inspires…spring cleaning, spring detox, and weight loss efforts.
Lemon can be used to clean with, it can influence people’s emotions, and it can be ingested (only CPTG) to help with a person’s weight loss strategies. There are a ton of uses for lemon, I only offered 3 ways so I wouldn’t overwhelm anyone.
Chaturanga uses the entire body. It is a great multitasking exercise. So if you are limited in time, include Chaturanga in your yoga practice. If you include it regularly, you’ll see results the form of toned arms and core. Who doesn’t want that?!?!